Saturday 8 August 2009

Show Day

Nothing sums up the summer more for me than a visit to the local agricultural show. Its a highlight of the season for our family and we're lucky that our local one day show is still going strong with 10,000 visitors this year - blimey.
There are so many bits of the day I love, from the show ring tension to the pride back at the pens, meeting up with old friends, scoffing plenty of ice cream and my absolute favourite - the horticultural tent.


The pride and competitiveness is absolutely fascinating and I love the quirkiness of the classes and the curious quality of that type of light you can only get inside a marquee on a muggy summer's afternoon.
A few goes in a colourful train and a whizz down the helter-skelter are compulsory for my two (honestly they were enjoying themselves a lot more than this photo shows!)

Fancy a spot of lunch? - plenty of room for a picnic here in this shire horse trailer.Just look a these dahlias, aren't they glorious. Wish my tomatoes looked like these - see what I mean about the light?
And it wouldn't be Leek Show without whopping onions!
Everyone's favourite - the tray garden class. I loved these little bunnies and the wobbly handwriting.

So a pretty super day, see - smiles all round!

13 comments:

Lyn said...

We have just back from the Halifax Agricultural Show, had a good day. My photos look very similar to yours!
Love
Lyn
xxx

Mary Poppins said...

What a fun day :)

I love the photograph of the tractor, it is my son's 3rd Birthday and we bought him a littler version, my, how he would have loved the one in your photograph :)

X

Kirsty said...

looks a fun day out - you got great weather! Weird seeing that first picture as it had my maiden name on it!

Love your blog btw, not sure if I've commented before (I lose track!!)

Rubyred said...

Hello! Thank for popping by my blog, how lovely to live near Longnor, beautiful countryside! I know what you mean about living in a place and still admiring its beauty! We have lived in Witney for 11 years now, I don't think I could move back to Birmingham after living in a small market town.I do love Birmingham for the friendly people and the shopping ,we often go back to see family too!And now my daughter is at Uni at Brighton I love it there as well!
So many lovely places to visit in our country, we shall definitely be going back to the Peaks!
Have a great week
Rachel x

Pink Feather Paradise said...

What a fabulous wholesome day, I suppose our local agricultural show is Bath and West... must admit I haven't been for years though!

x Alex

The Curious Cat said...

ah! I'd love to go to a country show...none of these to be found in cities thou...

periwinkle said...

wow those onions are huge - just like your lovely bed :-)

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

It looks like fun. For some reason, I have not been to one for years! Must change that. Very much like bed in previous post!Very pretty bedroom.
Isabelle x

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Hi!
Lovely post, you can imagine all the tender love and care that went into growing all those brilliant vegies. Tractor shots always welcome too!!!!! tee hee,
love Sarah x

The Fairy Glade said...

Hi Steph!
Love the tradition of these shows. It's what country living is all about. Dev x

Tee of Vinnord Cottage said...

Ahhhh... Loved the garden tray with rabbits!!! Too cute! I would love to see one of these one day... sadly we dont really have them in norway... We have something similar, but no prizes are given out...
Loved your pictures and the post!

Pipany said...

Hi Steph. Bit behid on the blogs just now. Off to have a check through yours. Love the pics in this one. Hope the holiday is going well for you and that you are juggling the work ok. xx

mollycupcakes said...

Oh Steph,
What a wonderful day, i love everything about your post, it just says Summer is here yeay!
Have a lovely weekend.
hugs,
Catherine x